Which <span class="highlight">tent</span> for a <span class="highlight">family</span>?

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 28, 2007 at 22:18
ThreadID: 49111 Views:4870 Replies:9 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

I am new to the forum, however have been around a long time reading all the posts.

I am in a dilema. My husband and I have 3 children - 2, 4 & 6. We love to go camping but dont go nearly as often as we would like.

My problem is that it takes us sooooo long to set up and pack away and then a day of unpacking etc. Our set up takes us about 2-21/2 hrs to set up. We have a large family tent ( 1 big room that sleeps about 9), a screen house, plus everything else that goes with it.
I am trying to update anythiing I can to make it quicker!

Something that has been taken me ages in the past is the bedding. Blowing up 1 queen size mattress and 3 singles is a nightmare. I have just purchased stretchers for the kids with sleeping bags ( yes, I used to take doonas and linen for 5 of us!!!). Now I'm trying to decide the best option for us - and the self inflating is looking like the best option.

Ideally, we would love a camper trailer. Sounds like exactly what we need. Sets up quickly, and stores away so next time you want to go it's quick and easy. The thing I love about the trailers is the large annexes that attach to the tent, giving you a large area if it rains. Problem is we can not afford one! And, I dont think we get away enough (4 times a year or so) to make it worth the investment.

As for camping, we prefer not to go to caravan parks as we dont like being too close to others. So we never go there in peak times. And we like to have a big fire! We are from Canberra, so we mostly camp NSW coast or Lake Eukumbene.

My kids are to young to sleep in a tent on there own, so I need one big enough for all of us. But I want one quick to set up!!!

Should I buy one of the large Southern Cross tents to ease my set up time? I'm used to having the large tent that fits all the beds, all the luggage and my porta potty for in the night :) There is heaps of room and I love it. I'm worried if I go the smaller tent I may not enjoy it as much as I will feel like we are on top of each other.

I have read post after post on the pro's and cons on canvas. I have never slept in one. My nylon tent has been great over the last few years. It is starting to get some mould in it though. When we camp at Lake Eukumbene, it's very cold. -6 at night last time we went in April. Will canvas be warmer or cooler?

Sorry for such a long post and dribbling on but I need some advice on anything I can do or buy to ease my set up. I want to be sitting in my chair having a drink after 30mins :)

Thanks guys!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael A (VIC) - Tuesday, Aug 28, 2007 at 23:10

Tuesday, Aug 28, 2007 at 23:10
Not sure if canvas is warmer BUT we set up and have beer in hand in 15 minutes at most.

Have had a Southern Cross centre pole tent fo 7 years and it works a treat. Their bigger family tents probably take a few minutes longer but it should not be by too much. This is bsed on observation not actual experience.

Our sleeping bags keep us warm.

I think it is a function of how well you pack and unpack your vehicle as well as practice in putting your tent up. The fewer parts to assemble the better.

Michael A

AnswerID: 259308

Reply By: RFLundgren (WA) - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 01:06

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 01:06
Hi there,

We have 4 kids of which only 2 come camping these days (2 oldest wouldnt be seen dead camping anymore and might break a nail or something....teenagers .... LOL)

We spent about 6 years tenting it with a Southern Cross 13 x 10 touring tent. Single centrepole and a couple of poles at the back. Took about 10 minutes to setup. We used to place a large tarp over it, both to stop the dew and to provide some shelter out the front.

We also found the packing up to be the worst. Try fitting 4 kids, 2 adults and all of the associated camping stuff alond with a 90 litre fridge in a Pajero. Definately a challenge.

About 2 years ago we purchased a camper, more for the ability to carry water and stuff as we usually do at least one extended outback trip each year.

Still love the tent though and would never get rid of it as some places you just cant take a trailer.

We tried the air mattresses and they were nothing but a pain, and more often than not we ended up sleeping directly on the ground when the thing went flat though the night. To get around this we had a thing double foam mattress for us which rolled up quite small and fitted on the roof rack. For the kids we got one of those double foam mattresses that folds into 3. We separated it so as we had 3 small singe mattresses, which at the age that our kids were actually worked quite well.

I dont think you will find the canvas all that much warmer. Lets face it when its -6 its going to be cold regardless. A good sleeping bag is going to help there.

I know that the SC tents are not cheap, but you may be lucky to be able to pick one up used and still in good condition. if it has been looked after it will last for years and years.

Good luck with it all and I hope you can streamline your packups and setups as I know exactly what you are going through as I have been there :)

Cheers

Richard

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 259317

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 01:25

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 01:25
Although we have a Camper Trailer with a "real bed" in it, there are times when we go camping without it.

One of the very best investments we have made was to purchase a couple of good quality hoop style Swags.
Not only do you have a very practical and comfortable sleeping arrangement as a "stand-alone" solution when necessary, but they also make a very comfortable bed in your lounge room, or in a tent, etc....

You don't need to erect the cover for the swag using the hoops, but just use it as a mattress, with a sleeping bag or doona over the top.

A good quality swag has a high density foam "egg carton" style mattress which I believe is as good as sleeping on an inner-spring mattress.

Good quality swags are not exactly cheap, but give the best comfort and flexibility for all situations.

Ours are "Down Under" brand, made in Australia but there are several other quality brands to choose from.
And best of all, they don't puncture and go flat:-))
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 259319

Reply By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 07:36

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 07:36
Hi, we have a trakshak camper trailer, which has been great, though, we are going to sell that, and Al is going to build a new camper trailer - eventually..lol...so in the mean time we have bought two Oz tents which we can connect together to make one large tent = we have two children - 6 7 8 years and the idea is that we have one tent, they have the other and the bit in the middle will be extra space for whatever - so it's like one big tent with two rooms. The oz tents are very quick to errect but they are baulky and you need to have a vehicle or trailer that will carry their length. My husband hopes to be in his chair in about 5 mins..lol.. I believe the southern cross ones are pretty good. We use self inflating mattress' and on the occaision I've slept on one I've found them pretty comfortable. As for warmth..camper trailers can get pretty cold too...we just have doonas and blankets packed and once you're in bed you're fine, you can get coleman heaters that use a butane cartridge which are very good, Our ute is being set up so that it will have a box on the back of it so that all our stuff will be in there and it's just a matter of setting up tent and throwing in bedding...-- at least that's the plan!

cheers

Lyn
AnswerID: 259335

Follow Up By: Nick R (VIC) - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 08:48

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 08:48
Lyn, I'm figuring this out, Al is seated and has a drink in hand after just 5 minutes, just as well the Oztent is easy for you and the kids to set up!!!
Nick
Carpe Cerevisi

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 520815

Follow Up By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 11:07

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 11:07
I'm allowing a minute each tent, a bit extra for the walls and there you have it..haha..might be more like 10 mins after we've had a discussion how best to do it...the tents won't take long, it'll be connecting them that takes the longer time...

he may even have a drink in his hand whilst setting up..lol...

Lyn
FollowupID: 520829

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 18:23

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 18:23
Lyn,

I assume Al will have your drink in his other hand???
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 520906

Follow Up By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 18:41

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 18:41
I would hope so :)
FollowupID: 520908

Reply By: flappa - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 08:59

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 08:59
Depends on your budget.

We have been through exactly what you are talking about. We have 4 kids.

We started with a large Canvas 2/3 room Tent. Was fantastic for longer stays and it went through 2 cyclones without problems. Took a while to get setup , approx 1 to 1.5 hours , mostly because the kids were small and I did it myself.

We then went to a Large 2 Room dome tent. Provided plenty of room , was quick to setup , and was fairly cheap at around $350.

We have also done the "couple of small tents".

We have now moved to a CT which is so much better. I found that when camping we needed to tow a trailer anyway , might as well be a Campertrailer.

As for canvas tents , I do find that they are warmer then nylon. They tend to hold the warmth in. A couple of weeks back it was quite cool at single figures, we had a Heater in the CT , and it comfortably held at 20 degrees.

The downside of canvas is , its heavy. Probably wouldn't matter if you take a trailer with you. WILL matter if you need to pack it into a vehicle.
AnswerID: 259342

Reply By: Member - Bentaxle - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 09:41

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 09:41
Hi Karicher
Being an ex Canberran i know how cold Eucumbene can be. I don't think that the tent material will make a lot of difference regardeing the warmth.Have a look at the Blackwolf Turbo Lite 270 about $600 at BCF quick to set up and pull down worst part is packing into carry bag, it is a little snug. IMHO self-inflating mattresses are the way to go but get the ones that are 100mm high
Mike

May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 259348

Reply By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 09:47

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 09:47
Hi Karicher

Friends of ours had to do similar and on a budget.

They ended up with a low cost ($149) simple (3 fibreglass rod)
dome tent think 3.6m square from K-Mart.

Worked well for years , and used also K-mart 45mm self inflating
mattresses for kids.
Adults began with li-los but moved to 100mm self inflators for adults.

Sleeping bags were also basic , backed up by using warm clothing
and simple things like beanies and hot water bottles.

In general these basic and straightforward things tend to be less
complex, easier to erect , lightweight but need more attention and repairs.

For example we also use some simple things like $8 fold up chairs etc.
They weigh about 50% less and are less bulky than $25 units and
are weaker and need to be replaced every couple of years, but thats a balance one can chose.

We have both canvas 1 minute and Nylon dome tents and select based on mission (dome takes less space).

Our dome takes longer to setup but takes less physical effort and is warmer.

Rather than take annex etc we usually take large tarp and only erect
if required , this divides up the setup task and sometimes its only put up the next day.
We`always have main tent and bedding installed and a chardonay within 15-20 minutes of starting.

Robin Miller
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 259350

Reply By: karicher - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 13:50

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 13:50
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your help. Sounds like I need to find a way to afford a camper trailer :) Might have to see if they give finance!

I have loiked at a lot of trailers and a lot of them look too small for us, or us just way to expensive.

Any suggestions on which camper would suit a family of 5? I dont want one of the real expensive ones and we would only need an on road model. Was looking at the Camel, but am open to as many suggestions as possible.
Also, do you really need the trailers with all the options ( kitchens etc).

Thanks

AnswerID: 259380

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 17:18

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 17:18
Hi Karicher, whats your email address ?? Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 520887

Follow Up By: karicher - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 17:24

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 17:24
tiger@netspeed.com.au

Thanks
FollowupID: 520890

Follow Up By: RFLundgren (WA) - Thursday, Aug 30, 2007 at 12:40

Thursday, Aug 30, 2007 at 12:40
Hi karicher

I went through a similar exercise to yourself some years ago. We were looking for a 2nd had trailor (living in NSW at the time) and could not find anything local at all. There were loads in QLD, VIC and SA but nothing to be found in NSW.

I decided to research the market for a new one, and like yourself I did hot have a lot of $ to spend on this. Ended up purchasing a trakabout safari from QLD for under $10K brand new. This had pretty much everything that we were looking for including 4 jerry holders, 2 gas bottle holders, 50 litre water tank, electric brakes etc etc. I paid half and financed the other half and have been very happy with it.

It is not overly large, but considering that we basically use the camper to sleep in and yes it did get a little tight when we had all 6 of us and our sharpei out camping, but we have found it totally adequate for our usage.

Its a little better now that the 2 oldest and the dog dont come with us too much anymore. I would definately recommend that you take a look at the trackabout range as we have found it to be a great camper at a very reasonable price. You can buy cheaper than that, but i guess it will depend on what you are looking for.

Cheers

Richard

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 521036

Follow Up By: flappa - Thursday, Aug 30, 2007 at 15:25

Thursday, Aug 30, 2007 at 15:25
My offroad CT with extended 16ft Tent with quite a few options was brand new 3 years ago for $7500

Mine is from Simon Heard in Shepparton VIC.

Looking around and you will find on road CT's available from about $3500.

have a look at campertrailers.org and you will find a listing of CT makers.

Do you "NEED" a CT with all the fruit. Nup. Make use of what you already have for camping , and add things as you go.
FollowupID: 521054

Reply By: Emo - Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 16:03

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2007 at 16:03
I've got a Freedom Super Tourer that I've had for around 12 years now. The wife and I can put it up in 5 mins and pack it away in around 10 mins. It's big and solid. It'll sleep about 4 people with bags etc or 6 people if nothing else is in the tent. It's very weather proof.
AnswerID: 259401

Sponsored Links